Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Statement by Fr. Marek Bozek

Dear Parishioners and Friends,
You might have heard by now of a "news story" regarding my person and our Parish. The supposed scandal is my "hidden membership" in the Roman Catholic Prelature "Married Priests Now" led by Archbishop Milingo or in the Reformed Catholic Church led by Archbishop Zimmerman. I am not a member of either group. I am not a priest in either group. I am not under the jurisdiction of either bishop.
You see, the lawyers for the Archdiocese apparently leaked to the media several documents that are part of our legal file. Two of those documents were dated January or February 2008 are letters from the U.S. representative of the Roman Catholic Prelature "Married Priests Now" and from Archbishop Zimmerman that attests to the fact that they granted secondary priestly faculties to ensure me that my priestly function could continue in the event that Archbishop Burke succeeds in his campaign to laicize me (that is, to "remove me from the priestly state") because I stood up for St. Stanislaus. Archbishop Burke's campaign to laicize me is part of his continued effort to hold the Sacraments for ransom until St. Stanislaus agrees to give the Archdiocese our property and our corporation. It is certainly ironic that the Archdiocese would blame me for doing everything that I can to make sure the Sacraments are available to the people of St. Stanislaus.
As I told the Board a year ago, it is true that I requested from the US representative of Archbishop Milingo (who was ordained a bishop by Pope Paul VI) and Archbishop Philip Zimmerman to grant me secondary priestly faculties that I could potentially use in the event that Archbishop Burke succeeded in laicizing me. If I were laicized, there is a question as to whether I could continue to celebrate Masses or other sacraments. It is my duty as St. Stanislaus pastor to make sure that the life of our Parish continues in spite of all the unjust penalties and harmful action of Archbishop Burke and the hierarchy. It is for this reason that I asked for assurances that priestly faculties from two validly ordained Catholic bishops could be available at some point in the future.
So, that is the story. I believe that it has been a public knowledge for several months now, I spoke about it in the church openly on several occasions and have nothing to hide. I told the Board about this a year ago. Lawyers for the Archdiocese mentioned this in open court last August. Leaking this information to the media is just a desperate attempt by the Archdiocese to make "news" out of something everyone knew. You are free to share this message with anyone who might be interested.
It is also apparent that the leaks were a response to a counterclaim that our lawyers will be putting on file which outlines the misrepresentations, falsehoods, and misleading conduct of Archbishop Burke. Among other things, it explains---- with documentary proof--- that the Archdiocese had a plan to close St. Stanislaus from the beginning (as many of us had long suspected) and that the plaintiffs in the lawsuit made a deal with the Archdiocese to convey all St. Stanislaus property to the Archdiocese if they win the lawsuit.
One of our attorneys will be giving a brief report on developments in the lawsuit and answer questions after each Mass this weekend.
Peace and blessings,
Marek


Rev. Marek B. Bozek
1413 N. 20th Street
St. Louis, MO 63106

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reporter Tim Townsend of the Post Dispatch made available Fr. Bozek's correspondence with Bishops Zimmermann and Brennan at this link.

http://images.stltoday.com/stltoday/resources/marekbozekpages.pdf

Readers will note details that both support Fr. Bozeks claims and cast doubt.

Bp. Zimmermann does speak of the incardination as being temporary.

Bp. Brennan does not.

Both letters do support the Post Dispatch article's claim that he was indeed incardinated which means a "priest in good standing" and member of their denomination.